|The Hot Springs Evening Star||page 2||Nov. 21, 1941|
SAN DIEGO, Cal. (AP) - Forced to draw on the man-power of the nation as well as the man-power for vital defense work, the government plans to establish centers to care for children while their parents are employed.
Dr. Leonard Power, senior specialist on school facilities in defense area said the plan will have its initial test in San Diego.
The nurseries will be supervised by the city school system. The children would range in age from young babies to about 12 years.
|The BHODian||page 19||April 1945|
The Child Care Center is sponsored by the Welfare Association and maintained by money allowed by the Government from the Lanham Act Funds. The children eligible for admittance must be those of working mothers or whose mothers are ill and the care is the father's responsibility. A charge of fifty cents per ten-hour day is made to cover the cost of food.
Any child showing symptoms of illness is immediately isolated from the group until thoroughly checked by the nurse. The nurse reviews all menus of the hot meals and approves them, after which they are posed on the bulletin board. The children are given cod-liver oil daily, checked, weighed weekly, and measured once a month. Health cards are kept on each individual and may be seen by the parents at any time.
The building is thoroughly swept and dusted daily. Toilets are sterilized, and the floors mopped and waxed when necessary. All blocks and toys are washed and sterilized periodically. The shelves and cupboards in the kitchen are cleaned each week.
The Center is opened at 6:30 each week day morning, with at least two persons on duty, normally closed at six o'clock. But automatically extends its open hours up to 12:00 mid-night to care for children whose parents work overtime.
|The BHODian||page 20||April 1945|
|BY 12:45 ALL CHILDREN ARE IN BED FOR A REST OF AT LEAST ONE HOUR|
THE KIDDIES ARE GIVEN A LUNCH AT 9:00 A.M.,
A HOT MEAL AT 11:45 AND ANOTHER LUNCH AT 3:00 P.M.
THE CHILDREN ARE UNDER CONSTANT SUPERVISION
FROM THE TIME THEY ARRIVE UNTIL THEIR PARENTS
CALL FOR THEM IN THE EVENING
|The Walrus||page 8||May 9, 1952|
The Child Care Center was opened August 18, 1944 for the care of children of working mothers. It was sponsored by the Welfare Board, backed by Lanaham Act Funds, and cared for children between the ages of two and six, although a few seven and eight year olds were taken for hours when school was not in session. The building was run six daya a week, opening at 6:30 a.m. and closing at 6:00 p.m. or until all the chidren had been called for by their parents. At one time there were sixty-six enrollees with the necessary staff of cooks, housekeepers, teachers, and supervisor. The charge was 50 cents per day which helped on the food budget. A doctor was on call, and a nurse made daily examinations. Mrs. Claudia Marsh was a favorite with the children and they welcomed her daily visits.
A typical day started with the Supervisor examining the chidren, suspicious sore throat or rash cases being isolated until the arrival of the nurse. The children were divided by age for differant play groups under the supervision of teachers. At 9:30, after a tooth-brush, face washing, hair combing routine, they were assembled for a mid-morning snack, preceeded by Cod Liver Oil. They were then engaged in planned group singing and games. A hot meal was served at noon, then the story hour, after which all youngsters were required to take a nap, or at least rest. At 2:30 the afternoon lunch was eaten with birthdays and special days observed. This was followed by a period of free play.
Lanham Act Funds were withdrawn for use by Child Centers and the building was closed September 30, 1945.
In the fall of 1951 with advent of kindergarten classes being operated by the local school, the building was reopened for these classes as well as a first and a second grade class.
tested in Internet Explorer 8 tested in Mozilla Firefox 3.5.7 tested in Google Chrome