|Vol. 4 No. 21||page 1||June 2, 1944|
The Boy Scouts have done it again. On Page 3 of this issue is the account of the recently held Court of Honor, one of the most successful of its kind. The Depot is fortunate in having two such people as Mr. Stienecker and Mrs. Hurley to head the Boy and Girl Scouts, respectively.
|BHODian||page 33||April 1945|
In May, 1943, at the request of the Commanding Officer, Col. Keith, the B.H.O.D. Fire Department agreed to sponsor a Boy Scout Troop at the Black Hills Ordnance Depot, providing a man could be found to act as Scoutmaster. Mr. Enoch Stienecker, having had considerable experience in boys' work both in Scouting and Junior Baseball, agreed to try to do the job. A troop committee was organized, of which W. O. Freund was chosen as chairman, a position which he still holds. Mr. Stienecker proceeded to contact boys to form a troop and registered the troop in June. On July 7th an investiture cermony was held at the Scout building, which was provided by our Commanding Officer. That year ten of the boys attended Scout Camp, and the following year twenty-seven boys attended the Scout Camp at Old Broadaxe near Nemo, South Dakota. There were fifteen boys invested at the investiture ceremony, and the troop was presented with a United States flag. The troop has done well and boasts a membership of more than sixty boys, in which four hold the rank of Life Scouts and four Star Scouts. The rest are equally divided between First Class, Second Class, and Tenderfoot ranks.
The troop has been active in various community activities, and has been awarded a certificate of merit from the War Production Board for its work in paper collection. On one occasion they were mobilized as a searching party for a child that had strayed from home, and they have been instrumental in saving the lives of at least two children at the Old Swimming Hole.
The troop has also been active in the Cub program, having furnished Den Chiefs whenever called upon by the Cub Master, Mr. Harvey Hansen. Some of the boys have acted as Junior Officers at Camp Old Broadaxe. All this has been accomplished in spite of the fact that we have had to train about a dozen boy leaders to replace those who were transferred to other stations.
Most of the Scouts are expecting to go to Camp Old Broadaxe this coming summer. We believe Igloo Troop No. 68 has a record that few other troops herabouts have been able to equal.
On April 30, 1944, a charter was granted by the Boy Scouts of America to Cub Scout Pack No. 3068 of Igloo, South Dakota. The organization was completed and proceeded to put the Cub Scout program into operation.
The Pack is sponsored by the B.H.O.D. Employees' Welfare Association and is directed by a committe of twelve men selected from the sponsoring institution.
The leaders consist of a Cub Master and Assistant Cub Masters, a Chief of Den Chiefs, seven Den Chiefs and seven Den Mothers.
At present there is an enrollment of fifty-two Cubs, divided into seven Dens, each under the leadership of a trained Boy Scout as Den Chief and supervised by a Den Mother.
Each Den meets every week with a planned program of play, handicraft, advancement and character building. Plans are also made for the week's activities. The entire Pack meets once a month, attended by the Cubs, their parents, Pack Leaders and committee members.
At this meeting a Pack program is carried out, displays are made of handicraft and achievements, presentations of awards for advancement and plans for the month's activities are made.
Because of the peculiar environment of an Ordnance Depot, the program of the Cub Scouts is especially valuable here in the entertainment and training of our little boys, our Boy Scouts of tomorrow.
|BHODian||page 34||April 1945|
The Paha-Sapa Girl Scout Association was organized in the fall of 1943 under the direction of Miss Eleanor Thomas from Scout Headquarters. Eighty Scouts and Brownies constituting five troops responded to the call and have been working for the greater part of the year. A senior Scout Troop has been organized recently.
The sum of $100.00 was given by the Welfare Association; $110.00 was realized at a rummage sale held by the Scouts; and $15.00 was derived from an ice cream social.
The girls and their leaders entertained the mothers at a Mother's Day tea. May 29th, the Scouts collected $171.80 in poppy sales for the V.F.W., 10% of which was allowed to the Scout treasury. An Investiture Service was held on June 8, 1944, at which pins were awarded. On July 25th, a group of girls attended Mallo Camp. During Girl Scout week a Court of Awards was held at which 181 badges were given. A special Scout service was held the following Sunday. In January of 1945, all Scouts and Brownies were guests of the Girl Scout Association at a party.
tested in Internet Explorer 8 tested in Mozilla Firefox 3.5.7 tested in Google Chrome